On January 16, 2009, a peacefully sleeping five month old Nora Jane was gently handed over to a medical team led by neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Madsen at Children's Hospital in Boston, for an 8 hour brain surgery in an effort to stop her intractable seizures, and ultimately resulted in the removal of 75% of the left hemisphere of Nora's brain. Ten months later Nora would meet Dr. Madsen again for a second surgery to remove the remaining 25% of her left hemisphere. This was all in an effort to stop the hundreds of seizures she had been suffering daily since birth.
Praise God the surgeries were successful, and Nora is now a thriving six year old experiencing no more seizures. As you can imagine though, losing an entire hemisphere of one's brain does not come without loss in other areas as well. Nora now lives with right sided hemi paresis, and visual deficits.
Nora triumphs through multiple physical, occupational and speech therapy sessions weekly, including horseback riding, swimming therapy and even restraint therapy. Her preschool physical therapist told us recently that Nora is the hardest working child she has seen in 30 years. We credit this to Nora's tenacious personality, her drive for independence, her humor and her strong spirit.